Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Someone else's watch

Tuesday in the Fifth Week of Lent


My help comes from the Lord,
the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved
and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Psalm 121:2-3



I resist the temptation to check the time; I know it is too early to be stirring. Something is pulling at me. Not a particular something, but a whole host of somethings that do not quite shape themselves into precise cares.  I know better than to give them enough attention to become fully formed at this hour. Now is time for rest.

In my sleepy brain, I remember that God is awake. God is awake and watching over me. God is awake and watching over me and everyone else. God is awake and watching over me and everyone else and all of creation. And because God is doing all this, I don’t have to. And as a matter of fact, I can’t. God can do this because God is God. 

And me? I am a finite human being. A mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and no matter how early I get up or how aggressively I prioritize I cannot accomplish an infinite number of tasks or will more time into a day.

So I lift my eyes and my heart and my hope to the one who keeps me safe. I place my wakefulness in the hands of the one who numbers the stars and calls them each by name. And I rest.



Image Copyright: / 123RF Stock Photo