Thursday, March 19, 2015

Rising waters

Thursday in the Fourth Week of Lent


Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
neither let the deep swallow me up;
do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;
in your great compassion, turn to me.
Psalm 69:17-18


I remember later than I would like that I have to do a load of laundry tonight. I lift the lid of the washer only to discover that it already contains damp clothes. One of my daughters is clearly in the midst of doing her washing.

I open the dryer and find that it is also full. I would ask the offspring in question to come and take care of her clothes, only she is not home at the moment. So I begin the task myself. 

It would be easy for me on a day when those things that I have left undone are piled higher than laundry in this room to give in to the temptation to rage and indulge in feeling overwhelmed. But, I remind myself that my daughter would do the same for me, as our pattern is to help one another out in this way. I take out a shirt and fold it with care. 

I will not finish this tonight. In the morning I will rise early to fold one set of clothes and move the next load from the washer to the dryer. And there will still be laundry waiting to be done. And there will still be people to help me along the way. And God will still be there to pull me out of deep water, and kindly set my feet upon the path that is sure.



Image Copyright: / 123RF Stock Photo