Saturday, March 21, 2015

Shaped

Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

The Lord changed deserts into pools of water
and dry lands into water springs.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,
and consider well the mercies of the Lord
Psalm 107:35, 43

I absently reach into the pocket of my sweats and am surprised to encounter some unidentified shapes. Pulling out my hand, I reveal two pieces of wrapped chocolate, partially melted into misshapen lumps.  I set them aside. In the cool house, they will harden. And they will still be chocolate. Why waste them?

Yesterday after my yoga practice a friend asked me if I had gotten all bent out of shape. “Actually, bent into shape,” was my reply.

This is what the wilderness does for me. Stretches me, molds me, asks me to reach beyond, increase my flexibility and strength. And even when I find myself misshapen, I am still me, still God’s beloved, still held in the hands of the living God, still striving to grow into the measure of the full stature of Christ.

So this morning, once again, I place myself before God who changes water-springs into thirsty grounds and deserts into pools of water. And know that I am in good hands.