Monday, March 2, 2015

Sluggish waking

Monday in the Second Week of Lent

Whenever I am afraid,
I will put my trust in you. 
Psalm 56:3

The phone wakes me five minutes before my alarm rings. I stumble into something that resembles consciousness and make my way across the room already knowing that the recorded voice I will hear will tell me the schools are delayed. 

Even though it is close to the time I usually get up, I cannot come fully awake. Wisps of dreams swirl in my brain refusing to come into focus and rather than moving into my day I am slowed by subtle fears.  That I will drop the ball, forget an important deadline, fail at a small task that will have grave repercussions for others. Fear that I have already disappointed someone or several someones.

This is what I have to work with this morning.

And as I acknowledge this truth, I also am reminded that I have other resources. The discipline of prayer. The practice of bringing before God my self regardless of the circumstances. The oft repeated experience of laying my fears at the feet of the Gracious One and  receiving strength.

Once again I propel myself toward prayer book and journal and supplication, and once more I find solace and encouragement and grace.