Saturday, December 15, 2018

Way of encouragement


Saturday of the Second Week of Advent

I will instruct you and teach you in the way that you should go; 
I will guide you with my eye. 
Psalm 32:9 

I smile as I watch the mother and young son walking ahead of me. He looks up to her adoringly, his face bright with eagerness as he pelts her with one question after another. Her answers are part conversation, part instruction, teaching him the way of the world. It is clear that her way is one of respect and candor, patience and optimism. She keeps her eye on him as she simultaneously continues their conversation and negotiates the path ahead.

What a difference it makes how our teachers guide us, I think. How our questioning is received, and whether our way is shaped by encouragement or discouragement.

As I continue to navigate the Advent path, I notice signs of holy instruction along the way. Scripture, prayer, conversations with others, seasonal ritual. And as I open myself to what I need to learn in this moment of time, I am encouraged by the knowledge that God is keeping an eye on me, that she always has me in sight, and that her counsel comes in response to what I am about.


image source: 123rf.com