Monday, December 24, 2018

The breath before

Christmas Eve

Be still, then, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations;
I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:11

The morning is overcast, and as I stand by my kitchen sink waiting while my tea brews, its feels like it is still night. Even though we have moved past the longest night, I don’t yet get the sense of light dawning earlier.

I wonder how we learned to count the time, how we know by calendar when the orbit and tilt of the earth makes for the shortest day, how we landed on making an adjustment by adding a day every fourth year and why that day is in February.

I know I could find answers. But in this moment my queries lead me to dwell on kairos, God’s time, sacred time. I know, deep in my body, the time has come. My journey has brought me exactly here.

Everything quietens around me. I am caught in the in-between. I hold the space, finding it expansive. I am still. All is still. The moment of breath before. Come, Jesus, come.


image source: 123rf.com