Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Liquid grace

Wednesday of the First Week of Advent

The words of the Lord are pure words,
like silver refined from ore
and purified seven times in the fire.
Psalm 12:6

I awaken hungry. As I reach for glasses and slippers, I sense not so much want as anticipation. It is early, I have time, I do not need to rush. I am hungry for my prayer time with Jesus.

I feel as though I have awoken within an envelope of grace. Any troubles of the day before or ahead have dissipated like mist. I am grateful, because this is pure gift. It doesn’t always work this way.

But today I am aware of God’s word waiting for me like a treasured friend toward whom I move eagerly. The poetry of the psalms, the cry of the prophet, the appeal of the exhorter. I open my book to the sacred texts and myself to the holy Word.

I savor the loveliness, aware that a word or two, a line here and there, have dropped into my core, infusing me with grace-filled possibility that I can carry with me into the day.


image source: 123rf.com