Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Leaning toward the light


Tuesday of the Third Week of Advent

Clap your hands, all you peoples;
shout to God with a cry of joy.
Psalm 47:1

It takes me a while to determine the source of the flickering light. In the darkened auditorium, there are many flashes as proud parents here and there raise a phone or camera trying to capture the moment of their child singing on stage. But I keep glimpsing a low light in front of me that is intermittent and actually seems to be moving beneath the seat.

I smile as I identify it—the boy in front of me is wearing light-up shoes. He is clearly taking delight watching them shimmer as he swings them or knocks them against the floor. His dancing light show punctuates the performances of the high school musicians on stage. I watch the youth onstage singing their hearts out, and I watch the boy also sharing his joy.

A young woman whom I love takes the stage poised for her solo, the audience hushes in anticipation, and the boy snuggles into his father’s lap. His father gathers him up and holds him tight. No wonder he has such joy. He is clearly loved, and that love is spilling out into the world. The soloist releases the first sweet note, deep and true. Voice and light and love dispel the darkness and we all lean in awaiting the Glory to come.


image source: 123rf.com