Friday, February 12, 2016

Retrace


But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord.
I have said, “You are my God. Psalm 31:14

I follow the path of the electrical wire again, and finally it begins to make sense. The cloth covered wiring may not be as old as our 100-year-old house, but clearly no one has disturbed it in recent history. Over the years, various people and plans have added to the complex pathways along the pipes and beams in the stone floored basement. I have not had to sort it out before, but now, in order to make a needed repair, I try to make sense of it.

And what about the pathways of my interior life? How many times have I changed direction, rerouted a practice, looped back to revisit an assumption? What trails have I left behind me, and what might I discover by retracing them? I expect among the junction boxes and transformers of my life I will see strong connections that continue to supply energy as well as tangles that might best be unraveled and intricate patterns that will bring understanding.

And I suspect that running through it all will be the love of God.