Sunday, February 21, 2016

Known

Saturday in the First Week of Lent


Search me out, O God, and know my heart;
try me an know my restless thoughts.
Psalm 139:22

We linger over lunch, and extend our time still further enjoying each other’s company and a long friendship. Our conversation traverses wide territory: work, kids, upcoming plans, past follies. We laugh a bit at our earlier selves, recognizing that we continue to become.

It is good to have someone know me well, really well, and love me nonetheless. I realize the comfort found in a relationship that spans the years having been tried, enjoyed, neglected, respected, renewed, celebrated. Not perfect. And just right.

One of the ways God knows me is through her eyes. One of the ways I know the Holy One is in the gift of self she offers me. Being known and being loved. I am still learning about both.