Thursday, February 18, 2016

Calling light

Thursday in the First Week of Lent

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken; 
he has called the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting. Psalm 50:1

I head home into the dusk and notice that the sky has finally begun to clear. After a day of slush and snow and rain, it is a relief. And then I realize I am not headed into the dusk at all. Blue sky emerges, the light hits me, and I am struck by the truth that the days are getting longer.

It seems only yesterday I would have been driving home in the dark at this time of day.
I understand that my experience of the lengthening of days is unique to where I live. This hemisphere, this latitude, this earth in its particular orbital relationship to the sun and other planetary bodies. Nevertheless, my very body and soul respond to the increasing light as if it were integral to my Lenten sojourn across the wilderness, as if I were created to dance to this rhythm.

As if I and the universe itself were uniquely attuned to God’s call.