Thursday, February 11, 2016

One way or another

Be still before the Lord,
and wait patiently for him.
Psalm 37:7

The house is in disarray. In the midst of work being done, nothing is in place. I sit and pull a cone of calmness over me as I block out the mattress on the floor, the pictures from another room leaning against a desk that is out of place, one shoe (who knows where its partner may be), and several cloth grocery bags full of items that may or may not find their way back to where they belong.

It is in this time and this place, in the midst of the disorder, that I school myself to stillness and lift my face to God. The invitation of the holy has been tugging at me since I woke and the call of the mess has raised its voice as well and with awe I discover the blessing in all this is that I do not have to choose.

Or rather I can choose the mess or the calm and nevertheless God dances there offering me a path that will wend its way in the wilderness one way, or another, or another.