Monday, February 15, 2016

Just a step

Monday in the First Week of Lent


In my integrity you hold me fast,
and shall set me before your face for ever.
Psalm 41:12


God knows I tried, but nevertheless my morning prayer discipline falls apart, my mind meandering down futile pathways. The promise of lesser but quicker satisfactions invade my space: I could quickly answer that email, or go make some toast, or check online for a sale on box springs (I need a new box spring). I pull my focus once more to the scripture in front of me and wonder if I should just throw in the towel for this morning. God will understand.

But because I know the sweet taste of connection, because I yearn for my soul to break free from the mundane and be encompassed by the holy, I throw a plea to God instead. Help me to keep from choosing the lessening. Help me to keep my feet on the path toward deepening. And the answer comes swiftly. One step at a time. Ordinary advice after all.

God knows. God knows me.