Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What's the Buzz

Tuesday of the Third Week of Advent

We have waited in silence on your loving kindness, O God,
   in the midst of your temple. Psalm 48:8

I am startled out of my contemplation by a sudden loud buzz. The dryer. I am surprised as well as disconcerted because the default setting in our house is to run the dryer with the signal turned off, so as not to be bothered by the nagging reminder of clothes that need attending. Folding can always wait.

I turn off the buzzer and return to my comfy chair, closing my eyes and breathing fully as I enter again into the silence I crave. Once again, I give myself permission to attend to the quiet. As many times as I have done this, I have to trust each time that it is the right move. 

So much vies for my attention. The emails that keep on coming. The impossible family calendar. The problems others would happily have me solve for them. The anxiety looking for any unwitting patron.


It takes some discipline for me to remember what is important. Prayer. Greeting friends joyfully. Focusing on the good of each day rather than the annoyances.

I choose again to wait in the silence, to trust that laying the groundwork of Advent is enough, to prepare myself for love.


Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2013