Monday, December 23, 2013

Burst of Speed

Monday of the Fourth Week of Advent

So will I always sing praise of your Name,
   and day by day I will fulfill my vows.  Psalm 61:8


“Med-i-tate! Med-i-tate! We’re rooting for you!” My oldest daughter cheers me on exuberantly. I cannot help but laugh out loud.

While I treasure the solitude in which I sink into intimate conversation with Jesus, I know better than to relegate the holy to such specificity. On a good day, I am mindful of God’s playfulness woven into the impossible swarm of daily activity. If I can only pray in the quiet moments, I’m in big trouble.  After all, I am surrounded. By the detritus of wrapping paper and unsent greeting cards, the enthusiasm of adolescent expectation, the unceasing traffic of commerce in the city in which I live.

God must be in all these places. The manger might be around any corner along any street. 

Perhaps we all need to cheer each other on as we head toward Bethlehem, as we put on a last burst of speed, round the final turn, and run full out toward home.


Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2013