Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Legacy of Hope

Wednesday of the Third Week of Advent

Remember your word to your servant,
  because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,
   that your promise gives me life.  Psalm 119:49-50


Fourteen degrees feels colder this morning than it did yesterday, and I make a second cup of tea just to have something warm in my hands. I snuggle into my favorite sweater as I pick up my journal to begin today’s conversation with Jesus.

As I wrap myself in prayer and contemplation, I also wrap myself in a warm afghan, a wedding gift a young girl crocheted for us twenty-five years ago. She was a student of mine, and I remember how honored and humbled I felt to receive such a gift. 

She would be a woman now, nearing forty, and I wonder what she is doing this morning. Would it surprise her to know her gift continues to bring me comfort and pleasure? That I think of her from time to time? Would she recognize her work as a legacy of her generosity and skill?

So many spread their blankets of hope upon the ground before me, enabling me to step out into the day looking for life and promise.

I finish my prayer, fold the afghan, and place it on the chair. Where it will be waiting for me tomorrow.



Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2013