Friday, December 20, 2013

Giving in

Friday of the Third Week of Advent

He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
   many shall see, and stand in awe, and put their trust in the Lord.  Psalm 40:3

I look at the scattered papers on my desk and realize I am not going to finish the tasks they represent before I leave work. It is time to go home.

Suddenly, I am impatient to be on my way. The sky is already beginning to darken, as we are fast approaching the longest night of the year. I yearn for home because family is visiting and for the first time in I can’t remember how long, none of us has to be anywhere this evening. Dinner will not be rushed. No one will have to head out into the cold and dark. We can finish watching the movie we started a few nights ago.

As I begin to clean off my desk, I choose a Christmas playlist and turn up the volume on my computer. Let the carols roll. Although the final days of Advent are yet to be traversed, I acknowledge the gift of joy that God has already begun to unwrap in my heart.

I choose to let the unfinished business be. I give into the delight of looking forward to the evening ahead and to a certain manger even now beginning to fill with promise.



Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2013