Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Coming and Going

Christmas Eve

Be still, then, and know that I am God;
   I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.  Psalm 46:11

The photo arrives as a gift in my inbox with a subject line of Outrageous. I am immediately captivated. In response to something I have written, my friend has sent me his own encounter with the outrageousness of God. I know him to be a traveler, and I surmise that he has taken the photo from an airplane.

I return to the photo again and again, drawn to follow the spears of light that pierce the skyscape. 

Only later do I discover the context, the where and when. In the miracle of modern technology, he actually sent the email immediately after taking the photo: from 35,000 feet while in flight. Traveling west he writes, “The dawn is catching up to us from the east.”

We stand at the brink now, where the dawning is about to greet us anew even though that morning is a thousand years behind us. The light of Christ will pierce our hearts. Again. We will meet ourselves coming and going. God will be outrageously there. We only need a moment to be still. And know.




Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2013  Photo credit: Jeffrey Kemmerer