Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Wednesday in the First Week of Lent

The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
     All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
     there is none who does any good.
God looks down from heaven upon us all,
     to see if there is any who is wise,
     if there is one who seeks after God. 
    Psalm 53:1-2


One look at the front page of the newspaper is all it takes. I am surrounded by devastating news. I try not to join the chorus of “What is the world coming to,” but some days it is just plain hard.

On any given morning, of any given day, even the most devout person can look for God and find…nothing. Today I look on the world and sees only brokenness. Somehow I have lost my way.

But I also recognize this place. I have been here before. It is a particular landscape in the wilderness. The temptation here, the trap set by the enemy, is to confuse yearning with alienation. To long for God, to look for God, is in itself an act of faith.

It is this yearning, this seeking for God, that God calls wise.  Wisdom, I realize,
is not the same thing as self-assurance or resting in the satisfaction of having it all worked out. Wisdom is in the seeking, in knowing that there is a relationship to be had with God—and it is one worth pursuing.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013