Friday, February 22, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Friday in the First Week of Lent

I waited patiently upon the Lord;
     he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the mire and clay;
     he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
     many shall see, and stand in awe,
     and put their trust in the Lord.
   Psalm 40:1-3


It has been non-stop. I pick up one daughter from hockey practice and get her home just in time to take the other daughter to play rehearsal where I spend a short time repairing costumes then leave in order to collect the first daughter from home and drop her off at her at church to volunteer and then swing back by the rehearsal hall to shuttle the second daughter to a theatre space for a different rehearsal and then I run to the grocery store to buy tissues because we all have colds and while there buy four boxes of brownies mix on sale (because it’s always a good idea to have brownie mix in a house with teenage girls) then drop the groceries at home and make my way back to the church to enjoy the spaghetti dinner that my daughter has helped prepare and relax until it is time to pick up my theatre daughter from her rehearsal.

So goes one afternoon in a slew of days that have all played out pretty much just like this. I am almost looking forward gleefully to the moment when my oldest will be able to drive. Almost.

But suddenly, now, there is grace. I arrive home and realize that there are not ten things pending which need my attention today at the latest. There is just this moment. And a comfortable chair and a cup of tea and a daughter making brownies. And the realization that God has made my footing sure along the way. And the invitation to sing a song of praise in this space that grace has opened before me.


 
copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013