Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Tuesday in the Second Week of Lent

You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;
     you refreshed the land when it was weary.
     Psalm 68:9


It has been a good day, I reflect as I settle in for evening prayer. I feel the satisfaction of having put in a good day’s work. I savor the contentment that comes with garnering the fruits of thorough preparation. Facing responsibilities with confidence. Being attentive. Taking advantage of odd bits of time to complete important tasks. Being present in many moments during the day, and experiencing the gratification this brings.

Now it is time for a good night’s rest. Not rest in order to work. Not rest for stress relief or improved health. Not rest succumbed to by exhaustion. But rest for the sake of rest.

Work and rest. I do not always give rest it’s due.

The wilderness landscape offers beauty and challenge. And opportunities for reflection and refreshment and rest. Grace reigns along the desert path as well as in the forest and by the lakeshore and among those gathered for the evening meal.

I lift my heart in prayer and lift my face to God’s gracious rain, accepting with gratitude the gift of restoration.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013