Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Saturday after Ash Wednesday

Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me
   and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling.
  Psalm 42:3

I resist the temptation to open my email. Just barely. The icon at the edge of my screen beckons, promising news and distraction. I only need move my cursor over it and click. Then it will bounce itself open spilling its contents and obligations into my already populated inbox. Several times I catch the almost involuntary movement of fingers skating diagonally across the touchpad toward the lure.

I take a breath and refocus. Email is not the task at hand. Nevertheless, it entices me with its disguise of urgency, even as I know that the life right in front of me is what is important.

How often I allow myself to be lured into focusing my attention on technical problems that seem easy to resolve, fixable, doable, telling myself, “This will only take a minute.” And in doing so let living slip by. Lunch with a friend. Much needed rest. An overdue conversation with a family member. Prayer.

Prayer. That’s always a good idea, I remind myself.

O God, help me set aside the distractions that keep me from seeing your light and your way in the world; call me closer to you, for I am often led astray.





copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013