Thursday, February 14, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Thursday after Ash Wednesday



Our steps are directed by the Lord;
   he strengthens those in whose way he delights. 
  Psalm 37:24


The fog intensifies as I cross the ridge and head down the mountain road. For a bit I follow another car, its taillights a welcome guide. But then it turns off to follow its own route and I am on my own, traveling the rain soaked roadway though a dense fog in the darkness.

I strain to see the way ahead, concentrating on the more subtle signs that keep me safely on the road. Intellectually, I understand why the high beams of my headlights lessen rather than enhance the visibility. But at a purely gut level it makes no sense to me that casting a brighter light on the way ahead does not help the situation.

Sometimes that way ahead can only be followed with concentration and focused sight. Slowly. Cautiously.  Sometimes shining a bright light only increases blindness.

There is no way to hurry this journey. I decide to take it as it comes—and discover that this landscape offers much for contemplation.

There is no way to hurry Lent. Direct my steps in all ways, O God.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012