Thursday, December 14, 2023

Unfurling

Thursday of the Second Week of Advent

Commit your way to the Lord and put your trust in God,
and God will bring it to pass. 
Psalm 37:5


The bloom on my houseplant is unexpected. I don’t even know what the plant is; it came to me as part of a basket of blooming bulbs last Easter. The other flowers faded away, but this one bloomed long into the summer, and as its leaves stayed green, I kept it in the front window and tended to it.

And now its tender pink flowers have begun to unfurl in the morning sun. As if getting ready. As if lifting their heads with expectation. As if learning toward a welcome arrival.

This Advent has unfurled rapidly. Can it really be time to lift my head from the tasks in front of me? Should I already be at the door, ready to fling it wide open to welcome the holy guest? Whatever else, it is time to trust in the coming.