Monday, December 11, 2023

Sighting

Monday of the Second Week of Advent

Show me your ways, O Lord,
and teach me your paths.
Psalm 25:3


The late afternoon feels like early evening as the days continue to shorten. I stand at my kitchen sink, ready to deal with the accumulated dishes waiting to be washed when I notice that the liquid dish soap has spilled onto the countertop. Then I look again. The spilled liquid forms the shape of a heart.

I have a friend who is a runner and often notices heart-shaped rocks along her way. She will stop and take a picture, and then post some lovely thought inspired by her sighting.

Whether it is a stone or a splatter, paying attention makes the difference. Transforming obstacles and messes and unremarkable encounters into signs of love.

Pay attention is the Advent refrain. Pay attention to signs of love, lighting the way through the darkening time to the greatest illumination of all.