Thursday, December 7, 2023

Strength in hesitancy

Thursday of the First Week of Advent

I love you, O Lord my strength,
O Lord my stronghold, my crag, and my haven.
Psalm 18:1


For some reason, post office errands flummox me, even though I can walk to my local branch and the workers there are friendly. And the building is magnificent: ornate light fixtures, carved details, high arched windows and entryways. The architecture is meant to inspire, evoking strength, stronghold, haven.

The magnificence captivates me as I ponder how a mundane task is awarded such opulence. Yet it is not in the magnificence, but in the space of my reluctance for the task that I look for the holy this day. What is God calling me to examine within myself?

The illumination of Advent can be found in the shadow places. God’s strength present even in hesitancy and discomfort.