Saturday, December 9, 2023

Sustained

Saturday of the First Week of Advent 

I believed, even when I said, “I have been brought very low.”
Psalm 116:9


I wake in the middle of the night, realize I am safe in bed, and go back to sleep. In the morning when I wake again with a sense of well-being, I give thanks to God. Because during the time of pandemic, I woke to anxiety. Each morning I would open my eyes and for the tiniest of breaths all would be well. And then I would remember.

I thought that time would never pass. I cried out to God in my distress. And then leaned into the strength of the Holy One, depended on the prayers of others, discovered the sacrament of community.

And now in ancient rhythms and new patterns I trace the love that sustained me and upholds me still. Love waiting to be discovered and visited in the simplicity and lowliness of the manger.