Friday, December 8, 2023

Ritual

Friday of the First Week of Advent

My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;
indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
Psalm 16:6


I wake to the sounds of the house. The hums and clicks as the heat pushes back the morning chill. The creak of floorboards. The sigh of a humidifier. All familiar. I know where I am.

I wake also to a prayer of gratitude. After several flustered days, I now feel firmly ensconced in this season I love. The Advent wreath on the table, one candle already slightly burned down. The lights in the windows. The crèche ready to be assembled, bit by bit. All familiar. I know where I am.

The rituals which enclose me bring more than comfort. They feed me, clothe me, give me a place to inhabit, and urge me on. Toward a cradle and a holy night. Toward a second coming and a renewed creation.