Friday, March 3, 2017

When the Light Moves

Friday after Ash Wednesday

You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy;
you have set my feet in an open place.
Psalm 31:8


As the morning sunshine splashes across the pages of my prayer book, the pathway of the light passes through a bottle of water. The beams refract, scattering rainbow highlights across the pages of the psalm I am reading.

As the spectrum of color dances across the words, illuminating my prayer, I am reminded of the possibility of movement. White light is disassembled and reassembled as its wavelengths move through space, resulting in colors that the human eye can perceive--as well as frequencies outside the human visible spectrum. Sometimes, movement is not obvious.

God has gifted me with many kinds of movement--from touching and breathing and running, to the neurons firing across synapses in my brain, to my soul reaching, to my eyes perceiving light.

When I feel stuck, when my heart seems paralyzed by dread, when sadness traps words of love in my throat, there is another way. I can open myself to the Light.

And when I do, again and again I am able to see that God has set my feet in an open place, and invites me to dance with compassion, mercy, humility, and grace.