Friday, March 10, 2017

Fault Line

Friday in the First Week of Lent

Happy are they who trust in the Lord!
they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Psalm 40:4

It is when I hear the words of complaint come out of my mouth that I realize I am in trouble. It is not so much that I have noted something amiss and want to speak to it. It is that I recognize that I have been collecting faults.

This tendency to store up wrongs is a fault line in my soul, a place where the combination of certain behaviors and pressure cause a rift in my relationship with God, and in the worst cases, an eruption of vitriol. Where is my focus?

I turn my face to God, the one who loves me faults and all, and confess. I lay down my complaints one by one. I stop giving them my attention. I stop giving them power.

The sense of a burden being lifted from my spirit is palpable. Contentment rushes in to the space created by the absence my grumbling. I remember how wonderful it is to place my trust in God.




Image Copyright: jarous / 123RF Stock Photo