Thursday, March 9, 2017

Thankfulness Recall

Thursday in the First Week of Lent

Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving
and make good your vows to the Most High.
Psalm 50:14


It begins modestly, my list of gratitudes. I think over the day that is past, and recall simple pleasures. A walk with a friend. A phone call from my daughter. The deepening of a relationship with a colleague. A piece of work come to a good conclusion.

And as my mantra of thankfulness continues, I become more aware of how God has been present to me in this day.

Sometimes these reasons for being thankful get lost in the bustle of daily work and obligations. Spending my time focused on difficulties and struggles leads me to see more hardship than joy. Wouldn’t it be more cost effective to direct my attention and heart on occasions to be grateful?  I bring them up now, one by one, recalling them from the hours past. And as I call them to myself, my heart expands.

I offer these thanksgivings to God and find that the cares of the day have been washed away. I am thankful for being reminded of all the pathways of gratitude.


Image Copyright: spotmatikphoto / 123RF Stock Photo