Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Different Story

Thursday in the Second Week of Lent

Let my mouth be full of your praise
and your glory all the day long.
Psalm 71:8



Even as I wake, I bat aside a sense of unease. The schools are closed for the third day in a row as my community continues to dig out from a fierce spring storm. Travel remains difficult, obstacles overcome simple errands and daily tasks, tension runs high as major events need to be rearranged.

The temptation to give in to stress is strong. Yet I know this is not the whole story. I call to mind the neighbors coming out together to clear sidewalks and excavate cars from snow drifts, the helpful stranger who stopped by with his snow blower, the patience and generosity of careful drivers on partially cleared streets.

Resilience is evident in this community. What would it look like, to be about the business of identifying acts of charity all day long? To give my attention and voice to the examples of God’s love in the world? To breath in kindness and fill my mouth with praise?



Image Copyright: zestmarina / 123RF Stock Photo