Thursday, December 2, 2021

Open space

Thursday of the First Week of Advent

The Lord brought me out into an open place,
and rescued me because the Holy One delighted in me.
Psalm 18:20



I slow my breathing as I less-than-gracefully ease into my yoga practice. The day has been simultaneously ordinary and hectic and I know I need this restorative time. I listen to the sure and soothing voice of my friend and teacher as she guides us through transitions from one posture to the next.

If only I had been this attentive to the transitions of my day. It began with holy conversation and prayer, yet I soon began to pick up burdens along the way. I’m pretty sure I am not meant to prepare the Advent way by collecting every rock I stumble over.

My body and soul hold on to so much. Clearing the path for the coming of Christ requires letting go. 

I deepen my breathing. I slow my movements. I still myself in the space opened by sacred encounter. Until the holding releases into resting and I am at peace.