Saturday, December 18, 2021

Night waking

Saturday of the Third Week of Advent

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you keep me safe;
you stretch forth your hand against the fury of my enemies;
your right hand shall save me.
Psalm 138:8



In the night, I am wakeful. Enough to get out of bed and go downstairs. This is most unfortunate because the Christmas cookies a colleague a gifted to my husband call my name. I know the sugar will not help me sleep, nevertheless….
 
When I was a new mother, I wrote a prayer for night waking for toddlers. I wanted even the youngest to have both the gift and the reassurance of God’s presence in the wee hours. Across centuries and cultures, people have engaged in rituals and prayer practices for the middle of the night, facing into the trepidation, facing into mystery.

Now in my own night waking, I seek peace and pray for the morning to come. Now the pace of Advent hurtles toward the longest night and the dawning of Grace.



 

Image by Angeles Balaguer from Pixabay