Saturday, December 4, 2021

Detaching

Saturday of the First Week of Advent 

Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we will call upon the Name of the Lord our God
Psalm 20:7


As I scan the store aisles, I have to coach myself into calmness. Shopping this time of year can be a fight for my soul. It is difficult not to be pulled into the advertising frenzy. I am surrounded by shimmering appeals telling me what I want. What my family wants. What love looks like. Telling me things will be scarce so I need to act quickly. Increasing my heart-rate, but doing nothing for my sense of well-being.

Advent is set aside for preparation because it takes time and attentiveness to get ready for the Savior. Preparing space in our hearts and lives does not happen with the flip of a switch. For me, the Advent journey seems to always include intentionally detaching myself from the misleading claims of power and once more putting my trust in God.