Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Plenty

Tuesday in the Third Week of Lent


They railed against God and said,
“Can God set a table in the wilderness?”
Psalm 78:19

I hesitate for a moment with the cookie in my hand. Then, rather than take a careless bite, I put it on a plate. For good measure, I add a small colorful paper napkin and picking up my cup of tea head for a comfy chair. If I am going to indulge in a treat, I decide, I am going to really enjoy it. The point of a single cookie, after all, is the sweetness of each small bite.

Sometimes the difference between plenty and scarcity is simply a matter of attention.

The question is not whether God provides for us in the wilderness, but whether I know how to see it. Where have I missed the abundance of God, or the opportunity to enjoy a sweet morsel of kindness? How often have I gobbled up offerings of compassion, consideration, gentleness without a thought and thus missed the benefits?