Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Dispersal

Tuesday in the Fifth Week of Lent


The Lord shall watch over your going out and your coming in,
from this time forth for evermore.
Psalm 121:8


“FYI,” the group message begins, “I am at the HS, and will be home shortly after 4”

“Okay”

“Alright”

“@ the cathedral be home by 5 or so”

“I have rehearsal at 330, and will be home a bit after 6.”

“Dinner at 630 then”

“Thx.”

Thus my family stays in touch and manages a typical weekday.

We are all coming and going all the time, and if we are not intentional about being with one another, seeing one another, listening to one another, being attentive to one another, we will certainly fall apart. I’m not sure how we would manage without cell phones, but I’m betting we would figure it out because sitting around the dinner table together is something we love.

Each year as my daughters mature our lives get more far flung, the radius of our daily dispersion increasing. In a few months one of them will be leaving home.

Soon we will not be having dinner together and I will not know how they are spending their afternoons. We will find new ways to be attentive to one another. Or we won’t. Regardless, our lives will never move beyond the radius of God’s care and the love we have shared over food and laughter will not lessen by being scattered.