Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Exposed

Wednesday in Holy Week


Hear my prayer, O God;
do not hide yourself from my petition.
Listen to me and answer me;
I have no peace, because of my cares.
Psalm 55:1-2

The familiar words of the psalm bring tears to my eyes. How is it that God knows? My pain, my fear, my insecurity. The words in my prayer book are ancient and translated and sacred. Today they wrap around me, connect with my soul, and pull my innermost self to the surface where I am exposed to this day.

And I understand that this day is what I have been given. This day. This indeterminate weather. This uncertain time. This light. This body. These thoughts. This time of prayer.

This way.

And the One whose way is through the waters of pain and fear and insecurity. Troubled waters. Sanctified waters. Waters of new life.