Saturday, February 24, 2018

Sacred vocabulary

Saturday in the First Week of Lent
Feast of St. Matthias

Restore us, O God of hosts;
show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.
Psalm 80:3

With a sense of relief, and perhaps a bit of wisdom, I decide not to fit one more thing into my day. Rather, I give myself the time not to rush. I allow for the luxury of an extended conversation with a wise friend, a walk in the rain, thoughtful research into a topic I've been pondering. And in doing so, I become aware of being in the hands of holy restoration.

God does not call us to be consumed. Not by work, or worry, or good deeds. God calls us into relationship to sustain us, nurture us, encourage us to live into the goodness within us. To save us.

Restore. Replenish. Repair, rebuild, recondition. Redeem. These are verbs of sacred vocabulary, acts of mercy, words of prayer, the tools of God's love.



Image credit: rrudenkois / 123RF Stock Photo