Thursday, February 15, 2018

Be strong. Be Brave.

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Our steps are directed by the Lord;
he strengthens those in whose way he delights.
Psalm 37:24


As I look up from my morning prayer, I see the inspirational icon across the room displaying the words “Be strong.” In my office, a painted rock on the bookshelf reminds me to “Be brave.” Be strong, be brave. Is this my mantra for the Lenten walk?

I have been thinking about strength lately, the kind of strength that is not about being powerful and rigid. The kind of strength that comes from practice and discipline. Not a tremendous display of force that comes out of the blue, but capacity that builds bit by bit as I walk with Christ. Spiritual vigor that gains definition as I practice daily prayer and awareness, like the physical muscle that increases as I work out at the gym.

It is tempting to admire the super-hero-might that sweeps in to save the world and impress others. But in my heart, I know that committing to the way in which the Lord delights engenders a different kind of steady strength. Strength that is nurtured by a slow warm up, healthy nourishment, the direction and encouragement of others, and times of rest. Strength that is flexible. Endurance that is not about powering through, but about honoring vulnerability.

And this leads to bravery. Having the courage to trust in the slow and steady, to rely on others, to remember who is the savior of the world, to have faith in the One who calls me into this journey.

Be strong. Be brave. Belong to God.