Thursday, February 22, 2018

Holy And

Thursday in the First Week of Lent

Be still, then, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations;
I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:11

I hear the rain as it splatters against the house. I can almost count the drops as they hit the window with random percussion, and as I become aware of the individual strikes, I notice the space in between the drops as well. Even when rain comes in a downpour, it is made of individual droplets. And droplets get their definition from the air around them that is not a part of them. And I can hear them because of the time that exists before and after each drop.

Matter and space. Movement and stillness. Measured time and eternity. Ephemeral impact and perpetual presence. And.

God sends the rain and is in the rain and is in the space that surrounds each droplet. God is in all and is all. God is on either side of the and, and in the and as well.

As I leave the house, I lift up my face to receive the blessing of life-giving water kissing my cheek. A holy reminder that in my stillness and in my movement this day, God is with me.




Image credit: pat138241 / 123RF Stock Photo