Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Bemused tranquility

Wednesday in the First Week of Lent

This is my comfort in my trouble,
that your promise gives me life.
Psalm 119:50

The morning fog envelops the city landscape, softening hard edges, quieting creation. It’s as if the Holy One has chosen to usher in this day, with all its tasks and expectations, with a bemused tranquility.

Hold the day lightly. These words become the refrain to my prayer. Hold the space lightly. Hold it all lightly. Work. Relationships. Encounters. Obligations. Loves. Losses. Possibilities.

Hold the day as lightly as if it were a newborn in my arms, a dewdrop on my fingertip, a gently uprooted plant in my hands on its way to new soil. As God holds me. So gently that I am often unaware of the strength of those sacred hands. And with such fierceness that nothing can pry me from her grasp.




Image credit: stieberszabolcs / 123RF Stock Photo