Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Tuesday in the First Week of Lent

February 28, 2012
 
So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe, the long robe with sleeves that he wore; and they took him and threw him into a pit. The pit was empty; there was no water in it.
Genesis 37:23-24


I almost forgot about the poem.

I approached the day as if it were any other. I set about my tasks and routines, and nothing seemed amiss. But the next thing I know, I am confronted with desolation.

This pit is empty. There is no water in it. Where is life in this?

Then I remember the poem. This Lent, for my journey to discover unanticipated life in the desert, I have chosen to read a poem each day. My text is River Flow, a collection of work by poet David Whyte. Today’s offering is The Winter of Listening:

     what disturbs
     and then nourishes
     has everything
     we need.

The day is empty; there is no water in it. It has everything I need.

River Flow. What an apt title.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012