Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Friday after Ash Wednesday

February 24, 2012

Harden not your hearts as your forbears did in the wilderness. Psalm 95:8

In the early morning, the desert life materializes as a text. My phone announces its advent with a gentle buzz. I see the sender’s name first, and already my heart warms but then the message appears with unexpected beauty. Not words but an image.

Traversing miles and cellular networks the hibiscus unfurls its pink and white amidst astonishing green. Life in the wilderness of my morning struggles.

In the afternoon, it is the subject line of an email that heralds grace. Like tendrils pushing through late winter soil these gifts of life might have gone unregarded if I had chosen to place my focus on the rocks strewn in the path of my day, if I had chosen to harden my heart.

In the wilderness I can choose to soften my heart. Sometimes I forget this.




copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012