Monday, February 27, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Monday in the First Week of Lent

February 27, 2012

I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind— so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 1:4-5, 7


I wake with the evocative tones running through my head.  I recognize the tune as a hymn or sacred song, but I cannot place it or bring the words to mind. The somewhat plaintive yet lovely melody of the refrain will not leave me. But no words.  If I can recall a few words or a line, I know I can search it out.

As I begin my morning ablutions and prayers, the melody persists. Words approach the bright spot of my consciousness, only to recede when I focus my attention on them. But one or two keep floating to the surface. Mercy. Loving kindness. Justice.

Finally it comes:

     There is a longing in our hearts, O Lord,
     for you to reveal yourself to us.
     There is a longing in our hearts for love
     we only find in you, our God.  (words and music, Anne Quigley)

And I realize it is this longing that woke me. I embrace the ache, this yearning offered as a spiritual gift for my day.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012