Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Saturday after Ash Wednesday

February 25, 2012

Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. Philippians 4:11

I don’t even look at the menu, because I have already decided on enchiladas verdes. It is my favorite dish here. But it has taken me a while to understand this.

There is nothing special about this place. The serviceable tables are covered with predictable plastic and arranged with no thought toward any particular ambience. The restaurant itself occupies a liminal space on the border between commercial and residential.

My family understood long before I did that the food was excellent. But I was discontent.  Always wishing the tiny eatery was somehow better, I would scan the menu as if making a different choice would change things. But what needed changing was not anything on the menu.

One day I was caught up short. Instead of looking for richness elsewhere, I discovered the treasure in front of me. I have yet to enjoy a better green salsa anywhere, no matter how fancy the place.

I take my first tangy bite, savoring the blend of sharp, sweet and spicy. Savoring contentment. Opening myself to the possibility that there might be other ordinary places in my life that offer richness I have overlooked.




copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012