Monday, February 19, 2024

Precious in God's sight

Monday in the First Week of Lent

I said, “Lord be merciful to me;
heal me, for I have sinned against you.”
Psalm 41:4



As I step out of the car, a bit of bright color on the wet pavement catches my attention. On closer inspection, it turns out to be a tiny plastic fish, abandoned in the grocery store parking lot.

I immediately think that some child has lost their trinket. It does not look valuable to me and could easily be overlooked. But I imagine it was precious to that child, who even now is grieving the loss.

How often have I stepped on the treasures of others, disregarded what someone else valued, gave no weight to an opinion or solution or path that did no match my own?

I recognize an unhealthy pride the assurance that I know what is best. I pray to God to heal my blindness. To the needs, the wisdom, the faithfulness of my companions on the wilderness path.