Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Encompassed

Wednesday in the Second Week of Lent

Let your loving-kindness be my comfort,
as you have promised your servant.
Psalm 119:76


The rain seems to aid and abet my procrastination as I delay facing into the day. There is nothing ahead to worry me, so I examine my impulse to postpone with suspicion. Am I giving in to a tactic of the enemy who would love to numb my senses? Or am I tired and in need of more rest. And how do I distinguish between rest and avoidance?

Having begun to question, I lean into the Lenten practice of self-examination. I carefully probe my feelings and motivations as if gently examining a wound. And in doing so, I feel the relief of God’s healing touch.

I am safe. I am loved. There is nothing that this day holds that is not already encompassed by the hands of the One who holds the caverns of the earth and the heights of the hills. I breathe in the loving-kindness of God, and stretch into the day.