Thursday, February 15, 2024

God's light

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

God will make your righteousness as clear as the light
and your just dealing as the noonday.
Psalm 37:6


The light reflects off the snow in the early morning adding a layer of beauty to my contemplative spot by the window. The space includes sacred and ordinary objects, holding both my daily practices and aspirational hopes.

Yesterday, in the midst of ashes, I leaned into God’s mercy, having nowhere else to go with my worry about the world. I reminded children of their goodness. I encouraged adults to return to God with all their hearts. I whispered to myself that dropping my bit of compassion onto troubled waters would make a difference.

And it does. Because God takes our small kindnesses, our feeble attempts at forgiveness, our muddled striving for justice, and makes more of them. God called light into being. And as I enter into another day, I will hold close to my heart the knowledge that the light within me and the light I see in others is a reflection of God’s love.