Saturday, February 25, 2023

Encouragement

Saturday after Ash Wednesday

Send out your light and your truth,
that they may lead me,
and bring me to your holy hill.
Psalm 43:3


The day is spent in planning. I meet with a group of church leaders, read drafts of reports, and create two different slide shows, one full of data and one full of pictures, both portraying the life of a community of faith. All of this work is testimony to the vibrant life grasped, nurtured, hoped for, and shared by a group of people who have nothing else in common but the courage to believe that Jesus brings love into their lives and the world.

Regardless of what comes of today’s work, I am satisfied--filled with admiration and gratitude for the people around me. They are my guides. They reflect the light and truth of the holy.

If I ascend to the holy hilltop, if I make it through Lent to the mystery of Easter, it is not by my own steam. It is with the help, encouragement, and company of others who have also chosen this path. And it is by the Light emanating from God’s love for us all.